The media group Deutscher Apotheker Verlag comprises the publishing houses
– Verlag Oesterreich (formerly Oesterreichische Staatsdruckerei, founded in 1804)
– Behr's Verlag (founded in 1835)
– S. Hirzel Verlag (founded in 1853)
– Deutscher Apotheker Verlag (founded in 1861)
– Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft (founded in 1921)
– Franz Steiner Verlag (founded in 1949)
– MedPharm Scientific Publishers (founded in 1981)
– MedPharm Polska (founded in 2005)
and DAN Netzwerk Deutscher Apotheker (founded in 2000), which operates the independent internet health portal www.apotheken.de.
The media group has its company headquarters in Stuttgart, Vienna, Berlin, Hamburg and Wroclaw. With a total of approximately 270 employees, it is one of the twenty leading specialist publishers in the German language area. Its range of products includes some 100 journals, more than 8,000 books, as well as numerous online services, ebooks and apps.
The Deutscher Apotheker Verlag is one of the few large media firms in Germany still under family ownership. It was founded by Dr. Roland Schmiedel and is now run by his grandson Dr. Christian Rotta and André Caro.